A great way to enjoy broccoli. This recipe is requested at every gathering.Be sure to have copies of the recipe on hand, as everyone will ask for it
Using the yogurt instead of mayonaise cuts out a lot of fat, but not a lot of the taste. You can choose the level of al dente your broccoli is to your tastes. Making the salad a the night before serving intensifies the flavors.
- 8 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped (1 pkg frozen broccoli)
- 1½ cups sharp Cheddar cheese, brunoise cut
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachio nuts
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup plain low fat yogurt
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, and yogurt. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Chop finely.
- Place broccoli in boiling water and blanch quickly. Just enough to soften slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, nuts, bacon, and onion.
- Combine dressing with salad, toss well.
- Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Some other suggested addins: walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, cashews; grapes, raisins, dried cranberries.
If you’ve made this recipe; I’d love to see a picture!
Just tag it with #EmmmmerzEatz and I’ll re-share!