I discovered this recipe a few years back on Allrecipes.com, and have never turned back. Ry doesn’t like cream of mushroom soup at all, so didn’t like GBC at all until we tried this. I have edited it slightly to our tastes, I hope that if you try it, that you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms
- 4 slices hickory smoked bacon
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1½ cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup cheddar French fried onions
- ½ cup crumbled buttery round crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and crumble/dice; set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic & onion until transparent; add mushrooms, continue cooking until mushrooms are soft; remove & set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, pepper, sugar, swiss cheese, 2 tbs butter, and sour cream. Add green beans, mushrooms, diced bacon, onion, and garlic, stir to coat.
- Transfer the mixture to a 2½ quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese. Then carefully spread the cheddar french fried onions around the rim of the dish.
- Bake for 30 - 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.
If you’ve made this recipe; I’d love to see a picture!
Just tag it with #EmmmmerzEatz and I’ll re-share!